Check out the US Department of Homeland Security’s official ready.gov site for a library of tips that help explain what to expect before, during, and after a disaster occurs. We've highlighted several incidents that commonly occur in the southeastern region below. Click each block for helpful information and preparation tips.
FEMA offers helpful tips for documenting and insuring your property in order to proactively prepare your home or business for potential disasters. We’ve summarized a short list below for you. The details in the full article are also great!
Full Article Here
- Develop a plan of action. Communicate and practice beforehand.
- Snap photos of important legal documents and other records. Store them in a safe place.
- Keep insurance policy numbers, your carrier’s contact information, and your insurance agent’s contact information readily available.
- Inventory & document your property. Take photos, videos, and note year, make, and model when possible.
- Understand your insurance coverage and options. Keep policies up to date throughout the year as things change.
- Ensure you have insurance for relevant hazards like flood, wind and hail, etc.
RESOURCES FOR PUBLIC INFORMATION
In addition to local government websites and official announcements, we suggest checking the below resources for the most up-to-date public information available regarding national disasters, severe weather, and matters of public safety.